This release is courtesy of MIT Sports Information.
- Score: No. 31 MIT 5, Stevenson University 0
- Records: No. 31 MIT (14-5); Stevenson (17-3)
- Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Nelson Arena)
- The Lead: In the first meeting between both programs, nationally-ranked No. 31 MIT overpowered Stevenson University, 5-0, in the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament on Friday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT's No. 3 doubles tandem of sophomores Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) and Pablo Ampudia(San Antonio, Texas) recorded the first point of the day by blanking Wornden Ly and Richie Abruscato, 8-0. Seniors Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) cruised past the No. 1 duo of Drew Ryan and Ray McDermott, 8-1. After building a 3-2 edge in the No. 2 slot against Douglas Vaughan and Andre Sturniolo, senior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) won five of the last six games to complete the doubles sweep.
- Ko and Go carried the momentum into singles action with 6-0, 6-0 victories over Ryan and Vaughan at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, respectively.
- At the time the match was decided, Barr led McDermott, 6-0, 1-0, in the top spot. Cauneac won the first set of his No. 2 match with Sturniolo, 6-2, but lost the opening game of the second frame. Zhao was scheduled to face Ly in the No. 5 slot while junior Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) was going to play Peter Appiah Jr. in the No. 6 position.
- MIT will face host No. 6 Middlebury College in the regional final slated for 9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m., weather permitting.