This release is courtesy of MIT Sports Information.
No. 23 Rowan University 1, MIT 0 (10 Innings)
MIT 5, Eastern Nazarene College 4
- Records: MIT (29-11-1); Rowan University (32-12); Eastern Nazarene (29-15)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Briggs Field)
- The Lead: After falling to No. 23 Rowan in the winner's bracket game this morning, 1-0 in ten innings, the MIT softball team rallied from a two-run deficit in the bottom of the seventh in an elimination game against Eastern Nazarene College to advance to tomorrow's Cambridge Regional final.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. Rowan:
- The game was scoreless all the way until the bottom of the tenth inning. Kristina Mueller earned a one out walk and advanced to second on a groundout by Carly Anderson. Pitcher Jesse DeDomenico came to bat and hit the ball to the shortstop who misplayed the ball, which allowed Mueller to score the game-winning run.
- MIT had its chances to score throughout the game as the Engineers left the bases loaded in both the second and seventh innings, but DeDomenico got out of trouble each time for the Profs this morning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- DeDomenico (18-6) earned the complete game shutout win for Rowan as she scattered four hits, struck out eight and walked five. MIT starter Ravenne Nasser (Methuen, Mass.) took the loss (17-7) on 9.2 innings, five hits, one unearned run and four strikeouts.
- The four MIT hits came from Julia Chatterjee (Hinsdale, Ill.), Sarah Von Ahn (West Linn, Ore.), Claire Wichman (Omaha, Neb.) and Sierra Rosenzweig (Anchorage, Alaska). Rowan's offense was spread out as well as the five hits for the Profs came from five different student-athletes.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. Eastern Nazarene:
- MIT was able to string together single runs in the first and second innings for the 2-0 lead. After Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) began the game with a double down the left field line, she moved to third on a passed ball and scored on a bunt by Chatterjee. In the second, MIT's run came on an RBI triple by Rosenzweig.
- Eastern Nazarene answered with one run in the fourth and one in the sixth to tie the score at 2-2. In the fourth, the Lions got a run on an RBI single up the middle by Viviana Coix and the sixth, the visitors got an RBI double by Kiley Ozaki.
- With two outs in the top of the seventh, Eastern Nazarene took a 4-2 lead on an RBI single by Ozaki and an RBI single by Kori Bow.
- MIT was down to its final two outs in the bottom of the seventh and needed two runs to tie and three to win and the Engineers did just that. Phoebe Li(Morganville, N.J.) singled to right, Rosenzweig singled through the left side and Goetz tied the game with a double to right center. A groundout moved Goetz to third and she scored the game winning run on a bloop single to center by Michelle Wist (Cypress, Texas).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT starter Colleen Campbell (Snoqualmie, Wash.) did not receive a decision in the game but pitched the first 6.2 inning for the Engineers and her performance was highlighted by nine strikeouts. Senior Amber VanHemel (Coconut Creek, Fla.) came in to get the final out of the top of the seventh and was credited with her first win of the season.
- ENC starter Elisabeth Schaffer (25-7) took the loss on 6.2 innings, ten hits, five earned runs and two strikeouts.
- After an 0-for-5 performance in game one, Goetz bounced back with a 2-for-4 effort against ENC that included two RBI and two runs. Madi Pickett (Santa Barbara, Calif.), Von Ahn and Rosenzweig also all tallied two hits apiece in the elimination game.
- MIT will play Rowan in the regional final tomorrow and will need two wins against the Profs in order to advance to the Super Regional round next weekend. Game one is slated to start at noon.