This release is courtesy of MIT Sports Information.
- Score: No. 3 Babson College 3, No. 2 MIT 1 (25-23, 15-25, 25-22, 25-18)
- Records: MIT (25-5); Babson (22-8)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: No. 3 seeded Babson College battled No. 2 MIT for a 25-23, 15-25, 25-22, 25-18 victory in the semifinals of the NEWMAC Women's Volleyball Championship Tournament on Thursday night. The Beavers advanced to the title match for the first time since 2015, when they won their second conference title in a row.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: Tied at 15, a ball-handling error and a kill by Shannon Roseen helped Babson create some breathing room before it went up 22-19. A serving error along with a kill from senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.)brought MIT within one and resulted in a timeout by the Beavers. Once action resumed, a kill by Allie Puccio set off an exchange of points that was capped by another Roseen kill, giving Babson a 25-23 win.
- Set 2: The Engineers slowly built an 18-9 advantage, however, a trio of Puccio kills along with MIT hitting errors narrowed the gap to 18-14. Sparked by a Bertics kill, the hosts went on a 7-1 run to end the set.
- Set 3: Trailing 12-9, a kill by Puccio kicked off a 14-5 run that put the Beavers ahead for good. MIT battled back, narrowing its deficit to 23-21 courtesy of a hitting error. A kill from Kristin Carosotto gave Babson set point, but a kill by Bertics kept the Engineers alive. The comeback attempt would be thwarted due to another Puccio kill.
- Set 4: Six unanswered points gave the Beavers a 16-12 lead, however, MIT picked up four of the next five points to come within 17-16. This was as close as it would bet as Babson put together an 8-2 run to capture the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bertics tallied a match-high 21 kills to go along with 12 digs and two aces.
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) led all players with 19 digs while junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) and freshman Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) registered six and five blocks, respectively.
- Puccio powered Babson with 17 kills, followed by 10 from Roseen.
- Elizabeth Cameron generated 36 assists 12 digs, and four blocks as Maddie Malee led the way with 18 digs.
- Gaby Miller earned six blocks while Cassidy Witten notched eight digs and four aces.